Dengue patrol smkdmpr2- The importance of volunteers - Community Service - student's essay

Dengue patrol smkdmpr2 Community Service
  Never in my wildest dreams would I have even begun to imagine that community service could   be such a rewarding experience. As the oldest child I never had the opportunity of having someone that   could help me with my homework, play with me and help me when I needed something. My parents   once in a while could help me with homework, but once we moved to the Tanah Merah Kelantan  I was definitely   on my own considering my parents didn’t know enough English to help me. From this moment forward, I   can say I’m very proud of myself for being where I am now without any help throughout my school   years. Yet, I know I could have done better with the help of someone.
I figured with the opportunity to   do community service, I could take advantage of this situation and choose something that would help   people  with whatever they needed and maybe even stay with them if I had the chance. Looking through the long list of places to do community service, the  Dengue Patrol SMKDMPR2( my beloved school)  caught my attention. I knew this was going to be a great choice but I didn’t think it could make such an   impact in my life.
At first I had   my doubts about doing community service here because I am a very impatient person especially when it   cleaning and tidying places  to avoid mosquito from breeding and thus  we were volunteering to pick up trash around neighbourhoods, at  Taman Barakah.

“Volunteers are not paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless.” - Sherry Anderson (Volunteering Quotes: Finest Quotes).

On average, when people think about community service, they assume that volunteering is just ‘hours we need to be able to get good grades in our exam’ and that is it. Community service is more than just hours; community service is based on the acts performed by someone with the purpose of helping or bringing benefits to his or her community. People frequently compare community service as a punishment since it is often offered to small-time offenders as an alternative to fines or jail time. However, community service is the vital force to many communities since they depend on the service made by the volunteers to be able to grow (The Importance of Volunteers). Nowadays, the words “community service” and “volunteering” are being used constantly. People tend to forget or misunderstand the real meaning or significance of volunteering. By exploring the history and significance of volunteering in Malaysia, people can develop a culture of volunteering.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Ghandi

"Love cannot remain by itself — it has no meaning. Love has to be put into action and that action is service."
- Mother Teresa



I have always enjoyed the feeling that I acquired after doing a good deed. However, I had no idea that my 1 hour of community service would turn into over 4 hours, for no reason other than the fact that I love it!! Through volunteering I have learned that many organizations exist only with the help of volunteers from the community, I have seen the amount of joy that volunteering brings to those who you are helping out, I discovered a feeling of self-satisfaction that no other activity can bring, and lastly I have learned to spend my time wisely.

1 comment: